Cornell Club of the Greater Capital District | For and by local Cornellians.
Find us on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/iWldPk
Only a few remaining tickets left for the Annual Meeting with special guest Rep. Chris Gibson. Sign up before it’s too late. First come, first served. Sorry, but no day-of or at-door registrations.
June 12 – Annual Meeting of the Cornell Club of the Greater Capital District with Refreshments & Special Guest, U.S. Rep. and Cornell Alum Chris Gibson. Sponsored by the Phillips Lytle LLP law firm.
Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Time: 5:30 – 6:00 p.m. (Check-in, beverages and hors d’oeuvres)
6:00 – 7:00 p.m. (CCGCD Elections and Special Presentation)
7:00 – 8:00 p.m. (Beverages and Dessert Station)
Where: Omni Plaza, 30 South Pearl Street, Albany, NY 12207 (Offices of Phillips Lytle, LLP Law Firm). Depending on number of confirmed registrations, the adjoining Taste Restaurant, at 45 Beaver Street, Albany, NY, shall serve as the venue in whole or in part. Details to registrants will follow.
What: Annual meeting (selection of 2012-13 CCGCD officers). Reception, cocktails, and dessert station, with presentation by Cornell alum (MPA, MA & Ph.D), U.S. Rep. Chris Gibson. Please note that while Rep. Gibson is of course a politician on the national stage, consistent with the Club’s mission, this is a non-partisan, private event exclusively by and for the Cornell community.
Who: Special Guest and Cornell alum Christopher P. “Chris” Gibson, MPA ’95, M.A. ’96, Ph.D. ’98, is an American politician and former officer in the U.S. Army. He is the U.S. Representative for New York’s 20th congressional district. Gibson is a lifelong resident of Kinderhook, New York. He was the Point Guard and Co-Captain of Ichabod Crane’s High School Basketball Team and went on to graduate magna cum laude with a BA in History from Siena College while earning a ROTC Commission there. Gibson served tours in the First Gulf War, Kosovo, and Iraq. He later taught American Politics at West Point and was a national security affairs fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. He has received four Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart, among other military awards. In 2008, he published his first book, Securing the State, which offered his overview on national security decision-making. He retired from the Army at the rank of colonel in 2010 to run for Congress, when he defeated incumbent Scott Murphy. Rep. Gibson will share with us how his Cornell experience has helped him as a legislator.
Dress: Business casual
Cost: No charge. Reception and refreshments generously provided by the Phillips Lytle, LLP law firm.
Registration: http://ccgcd-june12.eventbrite.com. Space is limited. Reservation through Eventbrite required. No at-door registrations. Cornell alums are limited to one non-alum guest. This is a private event by and for Cornellians. No media, no recording.
Additional Info: Gary Pollard ’82 (BS) & ’86 (MAT): email@example.com or 518.821.9767.
- Reunion info here: http://www.alumni.cornell.edu/reunion/?highlights
Get Involved in the Cornell Club.
There is simply no better way to keep abreast of things Cornell as a local alum. Take it from your current club president, it also is a terrific way to get involved in alumni affairs, and to hang out with some interesting, friendly and fun people. All you need to participate is a can-do spirit and a couple of hours a month. If this sounds intriguing to you, please send a note to Cliff Rohde at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Dates – Upcoming Local Cornell Events.
- June 12: Annual meeting with special guest U.S. Rep. Chris Gibson
- July 29: Cornell at Saratoga
- TBD summer: New Student send off.
Cornell Club Online.
- Facebook: http://on.fb.me/iWldPk | LinkedIn: http://linkd.in/l9d4pj | Twitter: http://bit.ly/jFutou | Website: http://ccgcd.alumni.cornell.edu/
- Email. This email listserv is open to all Cornellians. To join email a message to CCGCD-Lemail@example.com; the body of the message is simply “join”. To leave, email a message to CCGCD-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org; the body of the message is simply “leave”. You must send the “join” or “leave” message from the email address where you (intend to) receive the e-list’s messages.
The Cornell Club Needs You.
- Join: Membership is inexpensive (from free to $20) and cost effective. Dues keep event prices low (lower for members) and enable the Club to provide scholarship money to deserving local students. Pay your dues online here: http://ccgcddues.eventbrite.com/. Or even better, print out and mail in the 2012-13 membership form (http://sdrv.ms/LED9PQ) with appropriate dues check. Unsure if you’re already a dues paid member? Contact membership committee chair Nancy Lynk at email@example.com.
- Participate: Do you have a smashing idea for a Cornell Club event? Contact Club President, Cliff Rohde and let’s get it organized! We depend on volunteers to make our events happen.
- Share: Do you know a local Cornellian who doesn’t receive CCGCD emails? Please pass this email along!