We raised over $300 for our Club scholarship and everyone had a great time. Thanks for coming out! Thanks Harmony House in Cohoes!
Kick off the holidays with our fun, friendly wine tasting! And CAAAN training in ‘Toga.
1. Dec. 6: Wine tasting and scholarship fundraiser at Harmony House in Cohoes
Join in a night out with fellow Cornellians sampling exclusive NYS wines and light reception food, and all for a good cause, the Club scholarship. It’s never too early to do some wine tasting and holiday shopping at the same time. You will have the opportunity to taste at least 6-7 wines. The majority of wines will be from Finger Lake wineries, including at least a couple from Cayuga Lake to attract our die-hard Cornell alums. To enhance the wonderful selection of wines, you will be able to cleanse your palate and get your fill of light reception food, including a nice assortment of cheeses and vegetables. The owners are also working on the possibility of a Cornell Club discount for the wines that are tasted in the shop if you wish to purchase any that night.
When: Thursday, December 6
Cost: $15 per Club member. Net proceeds will benefit our Club’s Scholarship Fund. Where can you get that kind of deal in California??
Where: Harmony House Marketplace
184-190 Remsen Street | Cohoes, NY 12047
About Harmony House: In the Spring of 2006, two women had an idea of creating a business that would highlight products from New York State while assisting with economic development and restoration of historic downtown Cohoes. Their motto: when you buy New York, you build New York! Their one requirement: they had to have fun in the process! Rolling up their sleeves, the two crazy ladies became the demolition team cleaning out three historic structures totaling over 12,000 square feet of space. Forty-four dumpsters and several injuries later, they are still at it… On the weekends and during their free time, the girls travel throughout the State visiting wineries and teaching cooking classes. It is all worth it!
More info: Steve Schifley at Stephen.Schifley@marriottsales.com.
2. Dec. 8: Training for Alumni Admissions Ambassadors in Saratoga Springs
CAAAN is the Cornell Alumni Admissions Ambassador Network, a group of 9,500 proud Cornell alumni who serve as enthusiastic ambassadors to prospective students and families in all 50 states and at least 50 nations across the globe.
Alumni ambassadors are important to Cornell’s admissions recruitment efforts as they meet individually with freshman applicants, staff college fairs, and host local receptions for admitted and entering students. CAAAN members not only share their experiences and information about Cornell, but also help to personalize the admissions process for thousands of candidates each year. If you are a Cornell alumnus and would like to join CAAAN, please click the link (https://caaan.admissions.cornell.edu/vol/newmember.cfm) and complete the form. You will receive a welcome email with more information and, likely, a call or email from the local CAAAN chair.
Training starts 10am at the Glasby Room at the Saratoga Springs Library (49 Henry Street).
To RSVP for the training, you must contact Melissa Kalvestrand email@example.com.
Save the Dates – Upcoming Local Cornell Community Events.
- Dec. 6: Wine tasting/scholarship fundraiser in Cohoes. As above. Contact Steve Schifley at Stephen.Schifley@marriottsales.com.Dec. 8: CAAAN Training @ Saratoga Springs Library. As above. Contact Melissa Kalvestrand firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jan. 5, 2013. Volunteering opportunity with Regional Food Bank. Contact Gary Pollard at email@example.com.
- Jan. 18: Men’s hockey, Friday Night Faceoff 7:00 PM at Union College in Schenectady. Details forthcoming.
- Jan. 19: Men’s hockey, Saturday Night Faceoff 7:00 PM at RPI in Troy. Dinner beforehand. Details forthcoming.
Cornell Club of the Greater Capital District Online.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CCGCD | Web: http://cornellclub.net/ | Twitter: http://bit.ly/jFutou | LinkedIn: http://linkd.in/l9d4pj
- Email. This email listserv is open to all Cornellians. To join email a message to CCGCD-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org; the body of the message is simply “join”. To leave, email a message to CCGCD-Lemail@example.com; the body of the message is simply “leave”. You must send the “join” or “leave” message from the email address where you (intend to) receive the e-list’s messages.
The Cornell Club Needs You.
- Become a member: Membership is inexpensive (from free to $20) and cost effective. Dues keep event prices low (lower for members) and enable the Club to provide scholarship money to deserving local students. Pay your dues online via PayPal here: http://bit.ly/OKCNip. Or even better, print out and mail in the 2012-13 membership form (http://sdrv.ms/LED9PQ) with appropriate dues check. Unsure if you’re already a dues paid member? Contact membership committee chair Nancy Lynk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join the board: There is simply no better way to keep current on things Cornell as a local alum. Take it from your current club president, it also is a terrific way to get involved in alumni affairs, and to socialize with some interesting, friendly and fun people. All you need to participate is a can-do spirit and a couple of hours a month. If this sounds intriguing to you, please send a note to Cliff Rohde at email@example.com.
- Participate: Do you have a smashing idea for a Cornell Club event? Contact Club President, Cliff Rohde and let’s get it organized! We depend on volunteers to make our events happen. Or, fill out our quick programming survey: http://bit.ly/OKy802.
- Share: Do you know a local Cornellian who doesn’t receive CCGCD emails? Please pass this email along!
- Club Officers: Cliff Rohde, President; Gary Pollard, Vice President; Jim Larkin, Treasurer; Matt Richwine, Secretary. Officers and Committee chairs: http://bit.ly/LPLa9m
Cornello Noir? Big Red Riesling?
Cornell University scientists are asking the public for names for two new wine grape varieties that will be released from their breeding program in 2013, according a university news release.